Perhaps after placing the baby Jesus in the manger, and el Abrazo de Feliz Navidad, comes the meal, “La Picana Navideña”. And in between laughter and good food the opening of the presents take place.
The traditional Picana Navideña is cooked with three type of meats: Pork, lamb and Chicken. But there are variations to it. The one I cook is chicken based. Here is my recipe,
Picana de navidad Recipe
- 1 chicken, cut into eight pieces
- 2 cups white wine, some people use red wine if they use red meat also.
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen ones work
- bay leaf
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced white onion
- 1 cup of chopped tomato
- 3 carrots, cut into strips
- 2 Chili peppers cut in strips, I use 2 Tsp of Aji Colorado powder
- 1 tsp of Thyme
- 1 celery stick
- 2 tbsp of parsley, finely minced
- 1 tsp of Black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 5 potatoes, peeled and halved
- 16 round slices corn on the cob
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
This is the perfect stew to make in a Crock Pot.
First sauté onions, c