Today after playing in the snow and settling down, we did a little bit of school, just finishing unfinished lessons. Then, I read aloud to the kids in Spanish, they were not thrilled about leer solo en español, but they love being read.
One of the books I read was Oso Pardo, Oso Pardo by Eric Carle (Brown Bear, Brown Bear). After reading the book, we started to play what our eyes would see. It is fun when kids can understand Español and reply to your questions even in English.
So when we got to the part of the book that says,
Maestra, maestra que ve ahi? Los miré y dije ” Veo cuatro niños que me miran a mi” by then they were smiling big.
Then I said, niños, niños, ¿que ven ahí? And one of them replied, “I see my mama that smiles at me”.
Then, we kept doing it again and again. Mixing it with colors, objects, animals and people, all in Spanish and Spanglish.
I was so excited about the results of my spontaneous game that I found online much more activities with the book. Here a list of the more interesting ones.
- The children can make oso pardo’s puppets from a paper bag.
- They can color Animal pages and glue sticks on the back of each one. And tell the story again. Better yet if they use Spanglish or Español.
- They can learn color names in Spanish, as they color the pages.
- They can increase vocabulary, verbo ver y mirar.
- They can review números as they count animales.
- They can learn more nombres de animales, To make it easier use cognates. Such us; la cebra (zebra), la rata (rat), el león (the lion), el canguro (kangaroo), el tigre (tiger), el elefante (elephant), el cocodrilo (crocodile), la jirafa (giraffe), el gorila (gorilla), el camello (camel), el insecto (insect)
- They can play animal jeopardy, describing characteristics of each animal.
- Play Bingo, with all the vocabulary learned.
- Act out like animales aprendidos.
- Oso Pardo it was definitely a good book to get from our local library, and I am considering seriously to buy it.
- Oso Pardo, Oso Pardo game and activities will be back in our clases diarias de Español and,
- I will surely use this book when it is time to teach Animales to my Co-op students.
Here Oso pardo, Oso pardo by Eric Carle characters in PDF Format.
Please, let me know if you can think of more activities to do with the book.