I was not born in this country. I did not grow up here either, I grew up in the Andes, South America. The last 11 years I have lived among Americans. Although I have become a bit Americanized; there are a few habits that I have not changed yet.
1. Excess of ice in the drinks. I like cold drinks, but not drinks that freeze my head, where half is ice and the other half is the drink.
2. Snacking habits, I like better 3 big meals than snacks spread between meals.
3. Peanut butter Sandwiches, known as PBJ’s are the biggest staple in the States. I do not eat them. I just have not acquired the taste for it yet. I do not think I will ever like them.
4. Not ready yet for super sweet pastries. I usually do not buy pastries from stores, they are extremely sweet. I am not saying they taste bad, just too sweet for me. One thing I cannot refuse though is a good chocolate doughnut with coffee.
5. I do not eat frozen dinners, perhaps because I work from home and I can make my own food?. Eso si, I freeze some of my own veggies and meals.
6. I do not eat cold cereal. I like a hot cereal, but cold cereal does not appeal to me. Funny thing, I am the only one in my household that does not eat cold cereal.
7. I do not run the AC unless is extremely hot.
8. I do not find offensive the use of nick names.
9. I still do not eat Ketchup. I rather tomatoes or hot Bolivian sauce (llajua).
10. I do not mind when people asked me about my origin. I find it an opportunity to make my Bolivian side glow, my skin shine and a chance to make a new friend. And honestly I love to learn from other cultures, so sometimes I also make a few questions.
I am not American, but I love this country with all its crazy habits! Or perhaps, at this point I am the crazy one.